Monday, July 2, 2012

Just Touched Down in London Town


I always get that Estelle song stuck in my head when I'm in London. I don't think it will ever get out of my head. 

But I must say that luck was in my favor the last two days. I woke up early in the morning, got breakfast, and then went to Hyde Park. I only took a quick stroll, but I luckily was right near the area that I wanted to be at: The Peter Pan statue. 

Peter Pan: "The boy who would not grow up"


There really is something truly magical about this statue. I could look at it all day. Too bad there are so many other exciting things in London to see. 

I finally met up with my companions for the next two days: meet Katherine (left) and Liz (right)

After seeing "Singing in the Rain" at the Palace Theatre. Amazing.


Liz, by a crazy coincidence (which we only realized later that night), worked in the Special Collections library the same time that I did. Now that she's graduated, she's living back home up in Northern England. That is, until her fiancé in the U.S. can bring her back to the states :)

Liz's fun facts of the day: 

The Millenium Bridge was nicknamed the "Wibbly-wobbly" bridge by the British after the public found out that the tension on the bridge wasn't right. How did they find out? Well, many of them fell off of it. Haha. This is why when it breaks apart in the 6th Harry Potter movie that it is particularly funny to the English.

The Thames River used to be the dirtiest river in the world. It was only when Parliament became too overwhelmed with the smell when they opened their doors that they decided to do anything about it. It now is one of the cleanest rivers in the world. Go England. 

British drive on the left side of the road, because it ancient times, knights held their lances in their right hand and needed to be ready for battle. The whip and buggy is the reason Americans use the right side. 

One of my favorite parts of our two days was this:

Everywhere along the bank they have pianos chilling for anyone and everyone to play at their leisure. Liz and Katherine played chopsticks and then Liz played a beautiful song that I believe she said is British. A German lady took pictures of her and spoke with her after. While this was happening, I sat down and gave it a shot. I did my usual spiel: Five for Fighting and Regina Spektor. When I started playing "Us" I heard someone say, "Regina Spektor?" 


I turned and saw two boys standing there, taking pictures and videotaping me. I couldn't help but laugh and say yeah. One of the guys said, "I love how music is universal." I dumbly just replied yeah again and kept playing. Then feeling suddenly self conscious I ended the song and got up. I turned around, only to find a larger audience behind me and Liz snapping pictures with my camera. 



I was embarrassed a little bit that I had acquired a crowd, but honestly, I was mostly flattered. Guess my piano playing isn't too shabby after all.

Then the Camden Market--Hello international food!!! Turkish sausage, cheese, and spinach wraps. Belgian chocolate covered strawberries and bananas.





Something that couldn't have been more perfect was coincidentally showing up for "Horse Power Day"  Horses being paraded around everywhere and a new horse exhibit. Loveddd it. 




And lastly... getting excited for this. Hello Olympic GAMES!!!! :)




2 comments:

  1. I am just going to relive every London moment through your blog. I miss it so much! I wish we could have gone together. And I love that you had an audience. I wish I could have seen that! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Feel free to. You would love it here in Cambridge though Britt. It's definitely your scene.

    ReplyDelete